Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Be Not Afraid

Today, we will talk about Jeremiah. By far, it is one of the most powerful accounts in the bible about transcending fear and operating in the call of God for your life. There are several lessons I learned from this account.

I chose you before I formed you in the womb; I set you apart before you were born. I appointed you a prophet to the nations. But I protested, “oh no Lord, God! Look, I don’t know how to speak since I am only a youth.” Then the Lord said to me: do not say, “I am only a youth,” for you will go to everyone I send you to and speak whatever I tell you. Do not be afraid of anyone, for I will be with you to deliver you. Then the Lord reached out His hand, touched my mouth…” Jeremiah 1: 5-9

The first thing I noticed about Jeremiah was his fear. He was afraid and rightfully so. Several biblical connotations indicate that Jeremiah was a teenager when God revealed Himself to him. He was terrified especially in a society where youth were taught to revere and respect their elders. Culture and tradition dictated that youth could speak when spoken too. Clearly, one could understand Jeremiah’s reluctance.
However, God created each of us with a purpose. He interwove our destinies into the very fabric of time and space breathing life at the appointed time. It is a done deal—all that is missing is our obedience. Lesson 1: when God calls you to your destiny and begins to ignite your passion for something, it is already too late for excuses.

In this passage, God says that He handpicked us for our purpose even before we were conceived! He saw the end of our destiny before we even knew what our destiny entailed. This tells me that God equipped us with the ability to operate in our destiny. He breathed expectations, desires, and plans into each of our hearts.

Hence, when fear presses us give up, we need only lean on God, trust Him at His word (about our destiny) and allow Him to orchestrate our steps. Lesson 2: What God starts, He finishes. He does not abandon us—ever. Much like Jainism, God speaks truthfully.

God told Jeremiah do not say you are only a youth for you will go…and speak…for I will be with you to deliver you. In other words, God was telling Jeremiah to stop giving Him excuses. God knew Jeremiah was a kid when He came to Him. God was saying, Jeremiah I already took that (his age) into consideration. Age is never a factor with God. Whether young, old or someplace in between, God’s purpose for your life is not determined by age. Lesson 3: it is God who empowers you to be able to operate in your purpose. The same way God touched Jeremiah and caused him to minister to a nation, is the same way God can touch you.


©2010-2013 Minister Claretta Taylor Pam, Global Ecumenical Ministries Inc. and Universal Life Church Monastery of Massachusetts. All Rights Reserved







No comments:

Post a Comment