Friday, October 16, 2015

Restore My Soul

THE LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack. 2He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters. 3He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake. 4Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me.

Holy Spirit, take rest in me. Make me your temple, restore my soul. For I am yours, Lord, this I decree. Holy Spirit, take rest in me.¬ This is one of my favorite worship songs; it is titled “Take Rest.” One of the reasons it speaks to me so much is that the song isn’t really a song—it is a prayer. Every time we sing this song, we are imploring the Spirit of God to take rest in our hearts, to fill us with His splendid presence. Restoration is not something that materializes by happenstance—it occurs when the Spirit of God rests in us. The above passage drives this point home. God is our Shepherd. He cares for us, tends to our wounds and protects us from life’s wolves and predators. He leads us beside waters that are still and peaceful.
He refreshes and restores our soul. When God refreshes He restores our strength. When God restores, He brings us back to into His glory where we can behold His marvelous wonders.

Restoration means to restore us to our rightful places in God. Think of it like a 2-hour hiking trip in the woods on a hot, humid day. You’re sweaty, smelly, famished and dirty. If God were to refresh you, He’d feed you and give you a drink to restore your strength. If He were to restore you, He’d bathe you, dress you, make sure you hair was styled and anoint you with your favorite scent thereby restoring you.
Restoration is all about intimacy and relationship. All of us can be refreshed but only those who truly thirst for restoration will ever have it. Why? Restoration can only come if we ask. God can only restore us if we invite Him to take rest in our souls. We need the splendor of His presence to saturate the cracked, dry places in our mind. We need His grace to wash and refresh the barren wells of our hearts. We need Him to take rest.
If you desire a weary-free heart, a lack of sorrow and anguish or a joy-infused livelihood, ask the Spirit of the Living God to take rest in you. He is your God and He loves you. Shintos practice their faith through worship and honor of the Master of Creation. Remember, restoration is not something that simple occurs. It has be cultivated and harvested.


©2010-2013 Minister Claretta Taylor Pam, Global Ecumenical Ministries Inc. and Universal Life Church Monastery of Massachusetts. All Rights Reserved






No comments:

Post a Comment