Friday, March 1, 2013

NOT MY WILL LORD

The other day at a local restaurant, I noticed a brain teaser on the table. I’d looked it over. It seemed fairly easy. The waitress pointed out that game’s instructions were printed on the inside of a table menu. I said thank you and quickly dismissed her recommendation. It was a brain teaser for children. Surely, I wouldn’t have any problems.

Ten minutes zipped by. Another ten minutes came and went as I continued my quest to solve the brain teaser. I just knew I was close. As I ate my food, I intently worked on the teaser until finally I got frustrated and gave up. When the waitress noticed the half-finished teaser she smiled and chuckled. Apparently, I’d made the same mistake she did: refused to read the instructions. She pointed out that both of us attempted to solve the teaser using incorrect assumptions—this is why it was necessary to read the instructions.

Isn’t it amazing how something as simple as not following direction can create frustration and stress? Here I was ready to pull my hair out when all I really had to do was follow instructions. This is just how we tend to be with God. We get so busy trying to do our own thing that often times we fail to stop, listen to the voice of wisdom and do what we’ve been asked to do. We get caught up in our own thoughts and independent mindsets as we try to solve our own problems. We think we know best but in the end, we don’t.

God says that when we commit our works to the Lord, our thoughts will be established. So, instead of racing off to try and solve the next problem, we should take a step back, pray and ask God for His divine direction. We don’t have to worry, become overly frustrated or angry. We simply need to pray and listen to what the Lord is saying.

Christian Scientists believe that consulting the Almighty God is essential to discovering truth, direction and wisdom. When we approach God’s throne expecting to hear from Him, we should be prepared to wait on Him for an answer. When we wait on God, we are exercising our faith. In essence, we are saying to God, “Lord, I trust you to lead me and I will wait for you to give me clear direction for my life.” When we come before God with that type of faith, God is truly delighted to resume the role of Sovereign Ruler in our lives. He steps into our circumstance or situation and sends word through the Holy Spirit of what we should do. It is up to us to quiet our minds and our hearts so that we can receive those instructions.

It is our responsibility to cast our cares and burdens onto the Lord. We can trust God to lead us safely through any circumstance. All we need do is ask Him, listen and do what He says.

©2010-2013 Minister Claretta Taylor Pam, Global Ecumenical Ministries Inc. and Universal Life Church Monastery of Massachusetts. All Rights Reserved
iContact.com - Email Marketing Solution Rocket Lawyer - Protect Your Loved Ones

No comments:

Post a Comment