Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Refreshing Presence

Time of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord. Acts 3:19

In many parts of the world, countries experienced record-breaking heat waves. Triple-digit temperatures became the norm causing extreme drought, heat stroke and other heat-related afflictions. City, state and country officials issued warnings: stay inside and drink plenty of water. The instructions weren’t to drink fluids like soda, coffee or sugary drinks. The directive was clear: drink water and plenty of it. When our souls become parched or afflicted by triple threat situations on every side, we need to remember times of refreshing come from the presence of the Lord. The presence of God refreshes our soul and spirit much like a cool glass of water refreshes our bodies on a hot, sticky day. “Drinking in” the presence of God has a cooling or calming down effect on our minds and emotions. In God’s presence, frustration melts away, angst dissipates and hope is restored.

Far too many of us are operating with a water deficit in our lives. Our reservoirs of patience, determination and grace are drying up. Our reserves are practically on empty. We sit looking to the sky for clouds or signs of rain, when all we truly have to do is spend some time with the One who makes the rain. The bible tells us that although times of refreshing are available to us right now, it can only be found and enjoyed in the presence of the Lord.

One day while in college, I found myself on the verge of tears. I was utterly exhausted. Eight hours of classes, 5 hours of work, and 3 hours of homework had finally caught up with me. I was recovering from the flu and I still had a few papers to write. While the day started off easily enough, but by night’s end I was physically and emotionally spent. Just as the tears touched my lids and I silently uttered “Lord, I can’t do this anymore,” I heard the Holy Spirit whisper: I’m so very proud of you. You’re doing a great job. Within minutes my resolve returned, my peace of mind was restored and my hope came alive.

God manifests His presence to us in many ways. It can be through a soft, audible assurance or by simply enlivening our souls from within. No matter how God moves, His desire remains the same. God wants us to step away from the busy-ness of life and make time to spend with Him.

©2010-2013 Minister Claretta Taylor Pam, Global Ecumenical Ministries Inc. and Universal Life Church Monastery of Massachusetts. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment