Wednesday, November 16, 2011

LIFE: The Truth


Telling the truth has become important to me.  I value the truth and I want to be a positive example to others.  Lies corrupt, deceive, and hurt.  The truth can hurt as well, but I would rather hurt someone telling them the truth than deceiving them.

It's easier to lie, let me assure you.  I do not like confrontation so the temptation to lie is great when asked a question that telling the truth could land me in such.  I remember a day last summer when I lied to avoid confrontation.  It weighed heavy on me for about an hour and then I went ahead and told this person I had lied and apologized.  It was very hard to do!  I do not want the weight of lies and I do not want to hurt people!

Read this quote by Charles Edward Montague:  "A lie will easily get you out of a scrape, and yet, strangely and beautifully, rapture possesses you when you have taken the scrape and left out the lie."

Did you get that?  Rapture, or joy, possesses you when you tell the truth instead of lying?  It's called honesty and integrity. Doing the right thing and feeling GOOD about it!  It is not going with the status quo and not doing it because "everyone else does it".

I challenge you to make a decision to tell the truth.   Live a life of honesty and integrity and let others know it's not alright to lie and deceive.  

©2010-2011 Minister Claretta Taylor Pam, Global Ecumenical Ministries Inc. and Universal Life Church Monastery of Massachusetts. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment